Arduino-based Inductance Meter

_MG_1131
Incuctance meter in action. It displays the resonance frequency together with the inductance

I’ve just finished a little Arduino project. It’s a shield for the Arduino Uno that lets you measure inductance. This is a functionality that I found missing in just about any digital multi meter. Yes, there are specialized LCR meters that let you measure inductance but they typically won’t measure voltages or currents. So I had to build my inductance meter myself.

_MG_1146
Close-up of the circuit with the display removed

The basic design is really simple. It a colpitts oscillator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colpitts_oscillator) with the coil missing. You use the test leads to connect it to a coil which will make it resonate. The Arduino then measures the frequency at which the oscillator is resonating and calculates the inductance. The capacitors are part of the shield so the capacity is known.

_MG_1132
With the test leads open, the oscillator can’t resonate. The current calibration/zero-offset is displayed in stead

There is 1uH of inductance included on the schield which is placed in series with the coil to be measured. This serves two purposes: The oscillator can resonate when you short-circuit the test leads. When you then press the push button on the shield, the software will use the current measurement as new calibration. It also puts an upper limit on the resonance frequency. This ensures that the software the rest of the circuit can keep up with the oscillator.

_MG_1139
Pressing this blue button zeroes the meter

As can be seen from the schematic, the oscillator uses two 1nF capacitors in series. Together with the 1uH inductance, this limits the frequency to about 7.1MHz. In practice, it oscillates at around 5.4MHz when the test leads are short-circuited.

_MG_1137
The Arduino shield from below

The oscillator output is followed by a comparator turning the sine wave of the oscillator into a square wave. I’ve used an inexpensive but fast Microchip MCP6561R. It has a maximum propagation delay of 80ns which allows it to keep up at the maximum frequency.

_MG_1142
Viewed from straight above

But of course, 5.4MHz is way too fast for the Arduino to keep up. The Arduino runs at 16MHz and will need at least a few dozend instructions to process each pulse from the shield. My solution was to add a 74HC590 8-bit binary counter dividing the frequency by 256. That gives a theoretical maximum frequency of 7.2MHz / 256 = 27.7kHz. That’s something the Arduino can deal with.

_MG_1145
The entire shield with the display removed

For obvious reasons, there is also a display included on the shield. And then there’s that pushbutton which is debounced in hardware by running it through an RC low-pass filter and a Schmitt-triggered buffer. The button is used to zero the meter, i.e. the current measurement is used as the new zero-offset.

_MG_1151
Even very small inductance values can be measured

All related files can be downloaded as a .zip file: LMeterShield. This includes the Arduino source code (aka sketch) as well as the Eagle files and PDFs of both the layout and the schematic.

Now there’s also a stand-alone version: https://soldernerd.com/2015/01/14/stand-alone-inductance-meter/

Arduino Ultrasonic Anemometer Part 12: Working on an Arduino library

This is just a very brief update on what I’ve been working on the last few days. By now, this blog has caught up with where the project currently stands so the blog posts won’t be quite as frequent as they used to be. When I just started this series I had already worked on this my wind meter project for two months so I had plenty of material I only had to post.

_MG_1080
Arduino Ultrasonic Anemometer Shield waiting for software

By the way: If you’re new to my Arduino-based ultrasonic wind meter project, you might want to click here for an overview: http://soldernerd.com/arduino-ultrasonic-anemometer/

As you can see in my last post, all the hardware is working really beautifully now so I can focus entirely on the software. So far, the software was really basic, just enough to show the hardware is working. That’s changing now. I’m working on a library to handle all the low level stuff, like setting up Timer1 and handling the interrupts.

One advantage of putting all that stuff in a library is that I can write in native assembler (as opposed to inline assember which I find a pain in the arse). Not everything will be written in assember. But the two I interrupt service routines (ISRs) will be. Everything else will be regular C code I guess. told you in an earlier post that my ISRs were surprisingly slow: around 5us for the most trivial tasks. The TIMER1_COMPB ISR is now re-written in assember and performs about four times faster. For simple tasks, the interrupts take only around 1.2us now.

It took a while but it’s finally ready. Click here for the next post: https://soldernerd.com/2015/01/01/arduino-ultrasonic-anemometer-part-13-arduino-library-finally-ready/